AGYA Alumni Jointly building bridges into the future
Currently I hold the chair for Public Spheres and Inequalities at the Department of Communication of the University of Salzburg. Before, I have been working as a post-doctoral researcher at the Institute for Media and Communication Studies at Freie Universität Berlin and as assistant professor for Media and Communication at Cairo University.
My research focusses on media systems in times of transition in North Africa, and in particular on the role of media in articulating alternative voices and pushing certain issues on the public agenda. In addition, I investigate the transformation of the journalism in the Arab world and beyond.
Within AGYA I would like to initiate innovative research projects combining the fields of social development, economy and energy. Furthermore, together with my fellow members I would like to explore the effects of the so-called Arab Spring on international relations. I am particularly concerned to enhance the intercultural dialogue by deconstructing stereotypes and to foster mutual understanding and cooperation.
- AGYA Publications
- Arab Media Systems (in Arabic)
- Ten Years after the Arab Uprisings: Beyond Media and Liberation
- Beyond Mainstream Media and Communication Perspectives on the Arab Uprisings
- Arab Media Systems
- Egypt: A Divided and Restricted Media Landscape after the Transformation
- Communication Studies in Transformation - Self-Reflections on an Evolving Discipline in Times of Change
- My Commitment to AGYA
- Contribution to the BBAW Salon Sophie Charlotte 2022