Areas of Expertise:
Evolutionary Psychology, Personality Psychology, Cognition, and Emotion
I am an Assistant Professor of Psychology at University of Colorado in the Unites States of America. Along with collaborators based in the United States, Australia, Croatia, Malta, Finland, and Germany, I conduct within-culture and cross-cultural research on human cognition and emotion.
My primary goal in AGYA is to use principles and findings from psychology and neuroscience to improve education in Germany and the Arab world. I am particularly interested in strengthening the way we teach young people science and philosophy.
I would also like to use my membership in AGYA to contribute to increased exchange between scholars and students from different parts of the world, facilitating cross-border cooperation and cross-cultural collaboration rather than divisions along national and ethnic lines.
- Member of the AGYA Working Group Arab and German Education
- The evolution of the human brain: implications for philosophy (book project)
- Directing cross-cultural research projects on cognition and emotion
|2017 -||Assistant Professor, University of Colorado; Colorado Springs/CO, USA|
|2015 - 2017||Assistant Professor, Bilkent University; Ankara, Turkey|
|2015 - 2016||Visiting Fellow, Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin (Institute for Advanced Study); Berlin, Germany|
|2015||Instructor, American University of Beirut; Lebanon|
|2011 - 2015||Instructor, Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Talented Youth; Baltimore/MD, USA|
|2014||PhD, University of Texas at Austin; USA|
- Lewis, D.M.G., Al-Shawaf, L., Janiak, M., & Akunebu, S. (in press). Integrating molecular genetics and evolutionary psychology: Sexual jealousy and the androgen receptor (AR) gene. Personality and Individual Differences.
- Al-Shawaf, L., Conroy-Beam, D., Asao, K., & Buss, D.M. (2015). Human emotions: An evolutionary psychological perspective. Emotion Review, 1-14.
- Al-Shawaf, L., Lewis, D.M.G., & Buss, D.M. (2015). Disgust and mating strategy. Evolution & Human Behavior, 36, 199-205.
- Lewis, D.M.G., Al-Shawaf, L., Conroy-Beam, D., Asao, K., & Buss, D. M. (in press). Evolutionary Psychology: A How-To Guide. American Psychologist.
see a full list of publications>