Areas of Expertise:
Organic Materials Chemistry, Supramolecular and Polymer Chemistry, Optoelectronics, Sustainable Energy Materials
I am Associate Professor of Organic Chemistry at the Gulf University for Science and Technology (GUST) in Kuwait. My research interests are focused on the synthesis of organic and polymer materials based on polycondensed aromatic hydrocarbons for optoelectronic applications and gas separation membranes. I am also interested in understanding the structure to properties relationship and the supramolecular self-assembly through weak non-covalent interactions.
I am principal investigator of several projects funded by the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS) and had several research stays abroad, mainly at the Federal Polytechnic Institute of Lausanne and the University of Fribourg in Switzerland.
Through my AGYA membership, I look forward to establishing multidisciplinary research collaborations in the field of renewable energy and working on the introduction of new pedagogical tools in order to improve the quality of teaching mathematics and science.
- Member of the AGYA Working Groups Energy, Water and Environment & Arab and German Education
- Principal Investigator (2015-2018) Design of Iptycene Polymers: A New Generation of Gas Separation Nanomaterials for Energy Applications, Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Science (350,000 USD, grant number: P314-34SC-01)
- Principal Investigator (2013-2017) Graphene-based Nanoribbons: Polymers for Photovoltaic and Optoelectronic Applications, Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Science (200,000 USD, grant number: 2013-1506-01)
|2013 -||Associate Professor, Gulf University for Science and Technology; Kuwait City, Kuwait|
|2010 - 2013||Assistant Professor, Gulf University for Science and Technology; Kuwait City, Kuwait|
|2009 - 2010||Assistant Professor and Chemistry Coordinator, Lebanese International University; Beirut, Lebanon|
|2007 - 2009||Assistant Professor, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals; Dhahran, Saudi Arabia|
|2005 - 2007||Assistant Professor, University of Balamand & Lebanese International University (joint appointment); Koura & Beirut, Lebanon|
|2004 - 2005||Postdoctoral Fellow (Young Researcher Postdoctoral Fellowship, Swiss National Science Foundation), Columbia University; New York, USA|
|2001 - 2004||Teaching Assistant, University of Fribourg; Switzerland|
|2004||PhD in Organic Chemistry, University of Fribourg; Switzerland|
|2000||MSc in Materials Science and Engineering, National Polytechnic Institute - ENSIACET; Toulouse, France|
- Alameddine, B., Sobhana Anju, R., Shetty, S., Baig, N., Al-Mousawi, S. & Al-Sagheer, F. (2017). Direct synthesis of polyaromatic chains of tribenzopentaphene copolymers through cyclodehydrogenation of their poly-tetraphenylbenzene precursors. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 55, 3565-3572. DOI: 10.1002/pola.28739
- Alameddine, B., Shetty, S., Baig, N., Al-Mousawi, S. & Al-Sagheer, F. (2017). Synthesis and characterization of metalorganic polymers of intrinsic microporosity based on Iron(II) clathrochelate. Polymer, 122, 200-207. DOI:10.1016/j.polymer.2017.1006.1048
- Alameddine, B., Anju, R. S., Shetty, S, Al-Sagheer, F., Jenny, T. A. & Mousawi, S. (2017). Laterally Stretched Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Synthesis of Dibenzophenanthroheptaphene and Tetrabenzotriphenyleno-pyranthrene Derivatives, New J. Chem. 41, 6025-6032. DOI: 10.1039/C7NJ00371D
see a full list of publications>