Areas of Expertise for Media Inquiries:
Institutional Ecological Economics, Water and Land Use Governance, Climate Change Adaption
Andreas Thiel is Einstein Junior Fellow and Professor of International Agricultural Policy at the University of Kassel:
My research topics are the institutionalization of collective action within social-ecological systems in the contexts of water governance in the EU and the MENA region, climate change adaptation and land use transformations. I was able to prove that the choices societies made on technology and infrastructure in the water sector are principally based on criteria to be analyzed with social science methods.
With generous support from the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation & Development and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I and my team are establishing a social water studies initiative for the MENA region. The AGYA provides an ideal platform to get in contact with like-minded people from the region with whom to work on the realization of a Social Water Studies Program for the MENA region and who can enrich our program with scientific expertise.
- Member of the AGYA Working Groups Energy, Water and Environment and Transformation
- TransResScale: The scalar organisation of environmental governance: theorizing and evaluating the transformation of water and marine governance in the EU
- econCCadapt: the Economics of Climate Change Adaptation: Integrating economic models and institutional analysis at different levels; Project Leaders: Prof Konrad Hagedorn, Prof Andreas Thiel
- Entitle – Network of Political Ecology (http://www.politicalecology.eu/)
|2013||Habilitation in Resource Economics, Faculty of Agriculture and Horticulture (FoAH), Humboldt University of Berlin (HU); Germany|
|2012 -||Visiting Professor for Environmental Governance, FoAH, Dept. of Agricultural Economics, HU; Germany|
|2007 - 2012||Lecturer, Division of Resource Economics, FoAH, Dept. of Agricultural Economics, HU; Germany|
|2007||Research Fellow, Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development, Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (Seville), Joint Research Centre of the European Commission|
|2005 - 2006||Research & Teaching Fellow, Division of Resource Economics, Dept. of Agricultural Economics & Social Sciences, HU; Germany|
|2005||PhD, Oxford Brookes University; United Kingdom|
|2001 - 2005||PhD student & part-time teaching, Oxford Brookes University; UK|
|2000||M. Sc., European Environmental and Spatial Planning Distinction, Oxford Brookes University, United Kingdom|
|2000||M. Sc. Economics (Diplom Volkswirt), Technical University of Berlin; Germany|
- Thiel, A., Adamseged, M. E. & Baake, C. (2015). Evaluating an instrument for institutional crafting: how Ostrom's Social-ecological Systems Framework is applied. Environmental Science and Policy.
- Thiel, A. (2015). Constitutional state structure and scalar re-organisation of natural resource governance: the transformation of polycentric water governance in Spain, Portugal and Germany. Land Use Policy.
- Thiel, A. (2014). Developing an analytical framework for reconstructing the scalar reorganisation of water governance as institutional change: the case of Southern Spain. Ecological Economics.
see a full list of publications>