Areas of Expertise:
Migration & Refugee Governance, Arab Diaspora Politics & Transnational Social Movements in the West; Politics of Democratization in the Middle East; Power Sharing in Divided Societies, EU Politics in the Middle East
Tamirace Fakhoury is Associate Professor in Political Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) in Beirut/Byblos and the associate director of the Institute of Social Justice and Conflict Resolution at LAU. In summer 2018, she will be a visiting Professor at the Institute on the International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict at the University Bochum. In 2014, Fakhoury earned the Alexander von Humboldt fellowship to carry out a research project on the modes of Arab diasporic mobilization with special focus on the 2011 uprisings at the GIGA Hamburg.
Political studies have predominantly looked at the politics of democratization and citizenship in the Arab world through the lens of the Arab state system and its institutions. My research addresses power sharing in divided societies both from a bottom-up and an elite-driven perspective. It also addresses the transnational political practices of Arab communities in the West.
As an AGYA member, I am motivated to develop scholarly and policy synergies between the Arab world and international communities. I hope to create a web of linkages to empower the production of knowledge in Social Sciences in the Arab world. I am co-developing within the AGYA a research cluster on the ideational, political and cultural transfers that migrant communities have transferred in the Euro-Mediterranean contact zone. I am particularly interested in converting the findings of this research cluster into policy-orientated outcomes with a view to (i) bridging the gap between theory and practice in migration and refugee studies in the Euro-Arab Mediterranean zone, and (ii) harnessing the potential of Arab transnational communities in public and policy spheres.
- Member of the AGYA Working Groups Transformation & Common Heritage and Common Challenges
- Co-founder of the AGYA research cluster on refugee transfers in the Euro-Mediterranean zone (with AGYA member Jenny Osterle)
- Visiting Professor at the Institute on the International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict, summer 2018, http://www.research-school.rub.de/rsplus_vips_fakhoury-thiel.0.html
- Since October 2017: Co-Principal Investigator with Pierre Thielbörger (Bochum) for the research project: "Syrian communities’ perceptions of Transitional Justice"
- Consultant at ICMPD on diaspora and migration issues
|2017 -||Associate Professor, Department of Social Sciences, Lebanese American University; Beirut/Byblos, Lebanon|
|2014 - 2017||Visiting Assistant Professor, German Institute of Global and Area studies (GIGA); Hamburg, Germany (Alexander von Humboldt award for advanced researchers)|
|2012 - 2016||Visiting Assistant Professor (summer sessions), International & Area Studies, and Center for Middle Eastern Studies (CMES), University of California (UOC); Berkeley, USA|
|2011 - 2017||Assistant Professor, Political Sciences & International Affairs, Lebanese American University; Beirut/Byblos, Lebanon|
|2011||Visiting Postdoctoral Scholar, CMES, UOC; Berkeley, USA|
|2010 - 2011||Jean Monnet postdoctoral Fellow, Migration Policy Center, European University Institute (EUI); Florence, Italy|
|2008 - 2010||Research Assistant & Coordinator, Consortium for Applied Research on International Migration, EUI; Florence, Italy|
|2007||Research Fellow & Non-permanent Lecturer, Arnold Bergstraesser Inst. & Inst. of International Education of Students; Freiburg, Germany|
|2007||PhD in Political Sciences, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität; Freiburg, Germany|
|2005 - 2006||Non-permanent Lecturer, Dept. of International Politics, University of Freiburg; Germany|
- Fakhoury, T. (2017). The European Union’s Engagement in Conflict Processes and Conflict Spillovers: The Case of Lebanon since the Outbreak of the Syrian War, European Foreign Affairs Review 22 (1): 39–58.
- Fakhoury, T. (2016). Securitising Migration: The European Union in the Context of the Post-2011 Arab Upheavals, The International Spectator 51 (4): 67–79.
- Fakhoury, T. (2015). Transnational Immigrant Narratives on Arab Democracy: The Case of Student Associations at UC Berkeley, International Migration, 53 (3): 8–21.
see a full list of publications>