Communication & Media Studies
Areas of Expertise:
International Communication, Comparative Media Systems, Islam and the Media, Journalism and Public Sphere with a Focus on North Africa and Europe
Currently I am a Post-Doctoral Researcher at the Institute for Media and Communication Studies at Freie Universität Berlin. Here I am mainly responsible for the DFG-project 'Media functions in Transitions'. Before, I have been working as Assistant Professor for Media and Communication at Cairo University.
My research focusses on media systems in times of transition in North Africa, and in particular on the role of media in articulating alternative voices and pushing certain issues on the public agenda. In addition, I investigate the transformation of the journalism in the Arab world and beyond.
Within AGYA I would like to initiate innovative research projects combining the fields of social development, economy and energy. Furthermore, together with my fellow members I would like to explore the effects of the so-called Arab Spring on international relations. I am particularly concerned to enhance the intercultural dialogue by deconstructing stereotypes and to foster mutual understanding and cooperation.
- As a member of the AGYA working group Transformation, I contributed to the Working Papers Series “Academia in Transformation” with a co-authored paper on 'Communication Studies in Transformation: Self-reflections on an Evolving Discipline in Times of Change'.
- In 2016, together with AGYA member Carola Richter, I organized the AGYA conference entitled 'Dynamics of Change: Media and the Public Sphere in Egypt'.
|2016 -||Post-Doctoral Researcher in the DFG-project "Media functions in Transition", Institute for Media and Communication Studies, Freie Universität Berlin; Germany|
|2013 - 2015||PhD Lecturer at the Department of Journalism, Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University; Egypt|
|2015||Egyptian Project Principal Investigator of the DAAD-funded “Tawasul” Research Project “Journalism in Transformation in Egypt and beyond”; Egypt|
|2012 - 2015||Head Researcher in the BMBF-funded Research Project “Media Culture in Transformation” at the Orient-Institut Beirut, Cairo Office; Egypt|
|2007 - 2013||DAAD-PhD-Scholarship (Vollpromotionsstipendium), Doctoral Degree (Dr. phil.), University of Erfurt; Germany|
|2005 - 2007||Senior Researcher & Assistant Lecturer at the Journalism Department, Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University; Egypt|
|2002 - 2005||Master of Arts, Cairo University; Egypt|
- Badr, H. (2016). Public Sphere, new media and political culture in post-revolutionary Egypt, in: Orient Institut Studies, Vol. 4.
- Badr, H. (2015). Limitations of the Social Media Euphoria in Communication Studies, in: Centre d’études et de documentation économiques, juridiques et sociales (CEDEJ), Égypte/Monde arabe, Vol. 13.
- Badr, H. (2013). Battleground Facebook: Contestation Mechanisms in the Social Media in the Framing of the Egypt’s Revolution 2011, in: Berenger, Ralph (Ed.), Social Media Go to War: Rage, Rebellion and Revolution in the Age of Twitter. Spokane, Marquette Books.