Egyptology, Oriental Studies
Areas of Expertise for Media Inquiries:
Egyptian & Oriental Papyrus Research, Ancient Egyptian Literature, Philology and Linguistics, History of Egyptology
With the AGYA we are not conducting research behind closed doors but in collaborative projects with the intention to play an active role in the shaping of society.
I myself am Curator for a collection of more than 30.000 papyri and manuscripts in ten different languages and scripts in the Egyptian Museum in Berlin. On the Berlin Museum Island I was in charge of curating the new papyrus display in the Neues Museum, one of the largest papyrus exhibitions in the world. In addition I teach Egyptology at the Freie Universität Berlin and as Honorary Professor at the Humboldt University Berlin.
My main research interests are Ancient Egyptian Literature, Philology and Linguistics, as well as the Cultural History and the History of Egyptology. A recurring topic in my academic career is Elephantine Island: for the project “Localizing 4000 Years of Cultural History. Texts and Scripts from Elephantine Island in Egypt” I was just recently able to receive a European Research Council Starting Grant with the amount of 1.5 million Euros – an extraordinary high sum for the humanities.
- Member of the AGYA Working Group Common Heritage and Common Challenges
- 2015-2020: “Localizing 4000 Years of Cultural History. Texts and Scripts from Elephantine Island in Egypt”, Principal Investigator, funded with a European Research Council Starting Grant (1.5 million Euros).
|2013 -||Honorary Professor for Egyptian and Oriental Papyri and Manuscripts, Humboldt Universität Berlin; Germany|
|2008 -||Curator for Egyptian & Oriental Papyri, Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection, National Museums in Berlin, Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation; Berlin, Germany|
|2007||Visiting Professor, University of Malta|
|2006||Post-doc Fellow, Department of Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations (NELC), Harvard University; Cambridge/MA, USA|
|2005 & 2008||Visiting Scholar & Faculty Associate, Oriental Institute & Christ Church/Oriel College, Oxford University; UK|
|2007||PhD in Egyptology, Egyptology Department, University of Bonn; Germany|
|2004 - 2008||Research Fellow, Elephantine-Projekt, project of the German Research Foundation (DFG), Egyptology Department, University of Bonn; Germany|
|1999 - 2000||Visiting Fellow, Semitic Philology, NELC, Harvard University; Cambridge/MA, USA|
|1998||Magister in Egyptology; Germany|
- Enmarch, R. & Lepper, V. M. (eds.). (2013) Ancient Egyptian Literature: Theory and Practice, Proceedings of the British Academy 188, Oxford University Press.
- Lepper, V. M. (ed.). (2012). Forschung in der Papyrussammlung. Eine Festgabe für das Neue Museum, Ägyptische und Orientalische Papyri und Handschriften des Ägyptischen Museums und Papyrussammlung Berlin, Bd. 1, Berlin.
- Lepper, V. M. (ed.). (2014). Persönlichkeiten aus dem Alten Ägypten im Neuen Museum, Petersberg.
see a full list of publications>