Arabic & Islamic Studies
Areas of Expertise for Media Inquiries:
Cultural History of Late Antiquity, Classical Arabic Language and Literature, Arabic Philological Tradition
I am Lecturer in Arabic in the School of Modern Languages at the University of St Andrews and Principal Investigator in the ERC funded project "Language-Philology-Culture. Arab Cultural Semantics in Transition". My research focuses on the study of the cultural history of Late Antiquity, early and classical Arabic language and literature, the Arabic philological tradition and Arabic lexicography. My current book-length project focuses on the study of early Arabic poetry, in particular the poetical school of al-Hira in the context of late antique cultural history.
It is a great privilege for me to be one of the founding members of the AGYA. I see it as a unique opportunity to engage myself in the first bi-lateral Young Academy and hope that with my interest in the Arab world, its culture and history and my experience in the German Young Academy and German academia in general, I can positively contribute to the community of AGYA members, to our ideas and projects.
- Member of the AGYA Working Group Common Heritage and Common Challenges
- Principal Investigator in the ERC funded project "Language-Philology-Culture. Arab Cultural Semantics in Transition”
|2011 -||Lecturer, School of Modern Languages, University of St Andrews; Scotland|
|2007 - 2011||Dilthey-Fellow, Seminar for Semitic and Arabic Studies, Department of History and Cultural Studies, Freie Universität Berlin; Germany|
|2007||Lecturer, Lebanese American University; Beirut, Lebanon|
|2006||PhD in Arabic Studies, Freie Universität Berlin; Germany|
|2005 - 2006||Scholarship, DGIA Foundation, Orient-Institute Beirut; Lebanon|
|2002 - 2004||Scholarship, DFG-Graduiertenkolleg "Anthropologische Grundlagen und Ent-wicklungen im Christentum und Islam", Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg; Germany|
|2001||MA in Philology of the Christian East, Semitic Studies and Coptology, Ludwig Maximilians-Universität München; Germany|
- Dmitriev, K. (2015). "Glory and immortality: the motif of monumentum aere perennius by Samawʾal b. ʿĀdiyāʾ", Dmitriev, K. & Toral-Niehoff, I. (eds.), Religious Culture in Late Antique Arabia. Brill Academic Publishers.
- Dmitriev, K. (2009). "An Early Christian Arabic Account of the Creation of the World", Neuwirth, A., Sinai, N. & Marx, M. (eds.), The Qurʾān in Context: Historical and Literary Investigations into the Qurʾānic Milieu. Brill Academic Publishers, p. 349-387.
- Dmitriev, K. (2009). Das poetische Werk des Abū Ṣaḫr al-Huḏalī.: Eine literaturanthropologische Studie. Wiesbaden.
see a full list of publications>