Areas of Expertise for Media Inquiries:
Elections and Reform Processes in the Middle East, Higher Education and Science Policy Countries: Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia and Iraq
I am the Director of the Liaison Office of the Free University of Berlin in Cairo, which I was assigned to open in 2010 and Coordinator of the project Welcome@FUBerlin. My research interests comprise political elections, university reforms and the role of donor organizations in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
I have developed a solide research portfolio on higher education, research policy and the current transformation process in the Arab region. In addition to my in-depth knowledge of the Arab university landscape, I have a very strong network that should be of great benefit for the AGYA. For over ten years I have observed the challenges Arab scholars are facing in sciences and humanities, when it comes to develop their own ideas, make their research accessible and engage in international cooperation.
In the AGYA I am especially interested in debating the deep implications of the establishment of knowledge societies and a joint Euro-Mediterranean education and research area.
- Member of the AGYA Working Groups Transformation & Arab and German Education
- "The Battle for the Ballot: Elections in times of political crisis"
- "The Internationalization of Higher Education in the MENA region"
- "Academia in Transformation"
|2013 -||Vice-Director, German Science Center Cairo (DWZ); Egypt|
|2010 -||Director, Free University of Berlin Cairo Office; Egypt|
|2009||PhD in Political Science (Dr phil), Free University of Berlin & Institut d’Études Politiques d’Aix-en-Provence; Germany & France|
|2007 - 2009||Lecturer in Political Science (ATER), Institut d’Études Politiques d‘Aix-en-Provence; France|
|2004 - 2007||Research Fellow, Centre d'Études et de la Documentation Juridiques, Économiques et Sociales (CEDEJ); Cairo, Egypt|
|2002||Diplôme des Études Approfondies (D. E. A.), Institut d’Etudes Politiques d’Aix-en-Provence; France|
|2001||Diploma in Political Science, Otto-Suhr-Institute, Free University of Berlin; Germany|
- Kohstall, F. (2014). When Internationalization Encounters Resistance: Student mobilisation and university reform in Egypt and Morocco, British Journal for Middle Eastern Studies (BJMES), 10.
- Kohstall, F. (2014). Practicing the Transformation of Social Sciences after the Uprisings, Egyptian-German Science Monitor, German Science Center Cairo, Issue 1, 6-7.
- Kohstall, F. (2014). “Groundhog Day: Electoral Processes from Mubarak to Mursi”, in: Belakhdar, N., Eickhof, I., el Khawaga, A., el Khawaga, O., Hamada, A., Harders, C. & Sandri, S. (eds.), Arab Revolutions and Beyond: Change and Persistence, Berlin: Center for North African and Middle Eastern Politics & Cairo: Faculty of Economics and Political Science, 215-229.
see a full list of publications>