Computer Sciences, Environmental Studies
Areas of Expertise:
Remote Sensing, Hydrological Modeling, Data Assimilation, Irrigation Management
During the next decades, Arab countries will experience rapid changes: Climate Change with frequent floods and droughts, as well as the ongoing societal and political transition will further increase the pressure on water resources by maintaining current levels of agricultural production and drinking water use. These changes aggravate the need to develop management strategies that allow securing agricultural production taking into account the environmental constraints.
With these circumstances in mind, I want to work on a solution to increase the efficiency of the water consumption in agricultural environments by an integrated real-time monitoring-management system. Within the AGYA, the proposed concept can be evaluated by different fields of research and adapted to the specific environmental and social requirements in the diverse regions of the Arab World.
This undertaking reflects my scientific interests and current work at the Research Center Jülich.
- Member of the AGYA Working Groups Energy, Water and Environment & Innovation
- 07/2012-06/2017: Helmholtz-Allianz on Remote Sensing and Earth System Dynamics: Multiscale remote sensing of soil moisture and hydrological data assimilation
- 01/2015-12/2019: HYDRAS+ project funded by the Belgian Science Policy Office: Improving drought monitoring through assimilating multi-source remote sensing observations in hydrologic models
- 06/2012-06/2016: European Space Agency and Ministry of Science and Technology of China Dragon 3: Close the water cycle at the river basin scale using remote sensing data
|2010 -||Scientist, Agrosphere Institute (IBG 3), Research Center Jülich; Germany|
|2007 - 2010||Postdoctoral Researcher, Agrosphere Institute (IBG 3), Research Center Jülich; Germany|
|2007||PhD in Geography, Mathematics and Natural Sciences Faculty, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn; Germany|
|2004 - 2007||PhD Student, Agrosphere Institute (IBG 3) and Programme Group Systems Analysis and Technology Evaluation, Research Center Jülich; Germany|
|2003||German Diploma (Masters equivalent) in Geography, Department of Geography, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn; Germany|
- Rötzer, K., Montzka, C. & Vereecken, H. (2015). Spatio-temporal variability of global soil moisture products, Journal of Hydrology 522, 187-202. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.12.038.
- Vereecken, H., Huisman, J. A., Pachepsky, Y., Montzka, C., van der Kruk, J., Bogena, H., Weihermüller, L., Herbst, M., Martinez, G. & Vanderborght, J. (2014). On the spatio-temporal dynamics of soil moisture at the field scale, Journal of Hydrology 516, 76-96. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013.11.061.
- Montzka, C., Pauwels, V. R. N., Hendricks Franssen, H.-J., Han, X. and Vereecken, H. (2012). Multivariate and multiscale data assimilation in terrestrial systems: A review. Sensors 12(12), 16291-16333. DOI:10.3390/s121216291.
see a full list of publications>