Communication & Media Studies
Areas of Expertise for Media Inquiries:
Contemporary Politics and Media in the Middle East, Protest Movements, International Journalism
Since 2011, I am Junior Professor for International Communication at the Institute for Media and Communication Studies at the Free University of Berlin. My main focus is on Arab media systems and communication cultures outside Europe as well as on media in relation to political transformation, religion and migration. In particular I am interested in comparing strategies of protest movements in different political environments and in the role of foreign news coverage shaping our images of other countries and cultures.
Networking with Arab people of all educational levels and political backgrounds has been my approach of choice to get a deeper insight into relevant social discourses and of acquiring knowledge on the Middle East and North Africa. I hope to contribute to the dissemination of knowledge through publishing in academic but also in popular media as well as through teaching and lecturing. Engaging in dialogue is my academic mission.
- Member of the AGYA Working Group Transformation: Co-editor of the book Academia in Transformation
- Member of the AGYA Working Groups Arab and German Education & Common Heritage and Common Challenges
- Editor (with Asiem El Difraoui) of the book "Arab Media" – forthcoming 2015 at UVK
- Editor (with Nadja-Christina Schneider) of the book "New Media Configurations and socio-cultural dynamics in Asia and the Arab World" – forthcoming 2015 at Nomos
- 2014 - : Head of the German-Arab dialogue project: "Communication in Transformation – Transforming Communication Studies" and European section head of AREACORE
- 2014 - : Head of the Section "International and Intercultural Communication" in the German Association for Media and Communication Studies
- 2011 - : Editor of the Global Media Journal – German Edition (Academic Open-Access Journal dedicated to international and transcultural communication)
|2011 -||Junior Professor for International Communication, Institute for Media and Communication Studies, Free University of Berlin; Germany|
|2011||Dr phil (PhD), University of Erfurt; Germany|
|2009 - 2010||Project Manager and Author of the study "Die China-Berichterstattung in den deutschen Medien" on behalf of the Heinrich-Boell-Foundation|
|2004 - 2010||Teaching and Research Associate, Department for Media and Communication Studies at the Chair for Media System Comparison, University of Erfurt; Germany|
|2004||MA in Oriental Studies (major), Journalism and Political Sciences (minors), University of Leipzig; Germany|
- Richter, C. (ed.). (2014). Der Nahostkonflikt und die Medien. Norderstedt: BoD.
- Richter, C. (2013). “Libyan Broadcasting under al-Qadhafi: The Politics of Pseudo-Liberalization”. In: Guaaybess, T. (ed.): National Broadcasting and State Policy in Arab Countries. Houndmills: PalgraveMacmillan, 150-165.
- Richter, C. (2011): Medienstrategien ägyptischer Islamisten im Kontext von Demokratisierung. Berlin: Frank & Timme.
see a full list of publications>