Arabic & Islamic Studies
Areas of Expertise for Media Inquiries:
Arabic Literature, Sufism, Qur’anic Studies
I am Associate Professor at the American University of Beirut and was previously the Sofia Chair of Arabic Studies at the Ohio State University. My interests in Arabic literature include Abbasid prose and poetry, Arabic stylistics and metrics, literary anthologies, maqāmāt, patronage, and courtly life. My research on Qurʾān, Sufism, and Arabic grammar highlights some of the links between literature and these disciplines.
The intersection of sciences and humanities and the bridges between the two is a topic that has always fascinated me since my undergraduate studies in mathematics and statistics. I am a supporter of building links between the Arab world and other regions to promote research and academic culture.
- Member of the AGYA Working Group Common Heritage and Common Challenges: Organizing a conference: Insatiable Appetite: Food as a Cultural Signifier
- Member of the AGYA Working Group Arab and German Education
- Member of the AGYA Working Group Transformation: Participating in the collective volume on Academia in Transformation
|2013 -||Associate Professor, Department of Arabic & N.E.L., American University of Beirut (AUB); Lebanon|
|2014 - 2015
||Associate Professor & Sofia Chair, Department of Near Eastern Languages (N.E.L.) and Cultures, The Ohio State University; Columbus/OH, USA|
|2011 - 2012||Member, School of Historical Studies, Institute for Advanced Study; Princeton/NJ, USA|
|2009 - 2013||Assistant Professor, Department of Arabic & N.E.L., AUB; Lebanon|
|2009||PhD, Department of N.E.L. & Civilizations, Yale University (YU); New Haven/CT, USA|
|2008||Instructor, Department of N.E.L. & Civilizations, YU; New Haven/CT, USA|
|2006 - 2014||Director, Arabic Language School, Center for Arabic & Middle Eastern Studies (CAMES), AUB; Lebanon|
|2006 -||M.Phil., Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations, Department of N.E.L. & Civilizations, YU; New Haven/CT, USA|
|2005 - 2007||Teaching Fellow, Department of N.E.L. & Civilizations, YU; New Haven/CT, USA|
|2003||MA, Arabic Language & Literature, AUB; Lebanon|
|2002 - 2005||Instructor, CAMES, AUB; Lebanon|
- Orfali, B. & Baalbaki, R. (2015). Book of Noble Character: Critical Edition of Makārim al-akhlāq wa-maḥāsin al-ādāb wa-badāʾiʿ al-awṣāf wa-gharāʾib al-tashbīhāt Attributed to Abū Manṣur al-Thaʿālibī. Leiden: Brill.
- Bowering, G. & Orfali, B. (2013). The Comfort of the Mystics: A Manual and Anthology of Sufism. Leiden: Brill.
- Orfali, B. & Saab, N. (2012). Sufism: Black and White, A Critical Edition of Kitāb al-Bayāḍ wa-l-Sawād by Abū l-Ḥasan al-Sīrjānī (d. ca.470/1077). Leiden: Brill.
see a full list of publications>